Friday, March 27, 2009

the grass is always greener somewhere else (or at least the flowers are prettier)

It's time for graduation and this means hours of marching and singing practice (I think our seniors are singing five songs tomorrow?), signing of last minute forms, putting together a year book, and (of course!) decorating the school. As the teachers were busy preparing for graduation tomorrow I was completely distracted by the large washing tub full of orchids.
Of course in Vermont orchids are a rare expensive houseplant known for their love of humidity and the difficulty they pose to those who try to keep them. Here an orchid is nothing special. If I asked any of my co-workers if they'd rather have an orchid or a rose all would choose the rose. One of my great disappointments is that I still have never seen an orchid in its natural environment. Of course I understand why people pick them and keep them at their houses, but I still wish they were out in the wild proliferating.

No comments: