Monday, May 5, 2008

Next time we'll do a head count

The day before my supervisor told me we had a meeting in the provincial capital and to meet him at the municipal hall at 8 am. So since I am culturally adjusted now I arrived at 8:05 am because 8 am here means more like 8:30. I walked into the municipal hall and was met by a frantic office employee telling me to go up stairs immediately. My first thought was "great, people are on time toady". So I went upstairs to our office and found my supervisor sipping a cup of coffee. As soon as he saw me he asked if I had seen the driver and I said no so he told me to go downstairs and wait because it was late. I went running downstairs and waited and waited and waited until 8:30 then the driver showed up. We said hi to each other then he parked the car and went into the municipal hall so I sat back down and waited until almost 9. The Fisheries Chairman showed up just then and asked where the driver was so I told him. I waited another five minutes and then we all finally piled into the jeep and were about to leave when the Fisheries Chairman asked me where my supervisor was and I said I didn't know maybe upstairs. He then asked if he was joining us and I said no. We traveled to the provincial capitol and picked up the head of the Agriculture Department on the way. We arrived at the capitol late but the meeting hadn't started yet. It took some time for everyone to find chairs and say there hellos but the meeting started eventually and was only thirty minutes behind schedule. The meeting was about a national law that the province wants to change related to the fisheries act. The most interesting thing happened half way through the meeting when my supervisor walked through the door and sat on the other side of the room. I thought that it was peculiar for him to decide to take another form of transportation here. The Fisheries Chairman noted his arrival by nudging me and we just looked each other and smiled. The meeting eventually ended and my supervisor came over to the Fisheries Chairman and they started having what looked like a serious conversation. Then the Fisheries Chairman started laughing hard and pointed at me. That was my cue and I joined the conversation. My supervisor was supposed to get a ride with us and was planning on attending the meeting. After this was explained to me there was an awkward moment of silence and then the fisheries chairman started laughing again. My supervisor got in line for lunch and the fisheries chairman asked me what he said so I told him and this brought out another round of laughter. I started thinking to myself why had I said that he wasn't riding with us. He had never told me his plans but I had assumed I knew what was going on. I began to feel a little better about the situation after I realized it wasn't my language skills that were off but my reading of the situation. I had assumed that he wasn't joining us since I was treated like we were in a hurry and waited downstairs for an hour to leave. I figured my supervisor would have been acting hurried and checking every couple minutes to see if the driver had arrived. So I got over the situation and decided it was a cultural misinterpretation and not a language one which was easier for me to deal with.
On our way home the head of the Agriculture Department bought food and invited us over to her house. We were all sitting around eating when the Fisheries Chairman asked me "Anong sinabi niya?" (what did he say?). Then he started to laugh, uncontrollably.

No comments: