Friday, March 7, 2008

Introductions

When two people meet for the first time in the states the conversation might go something like this:

Joe: Hi, my name is Joe and you are?
Jill: I'm Jill and I work with your wife, Rachel.
Joe: Oh really so are you a lawyer also ?
Jill: No, no I'm a paralegal but I'm currently taking night classes and hope to take the bar exam in a couple years. I've been so busy lately with school, work, and my cycling classes. So what do you do for work Joe?
Joe: I'm an engineer with McDermott and Smith. We have an office uptown near the park. I have a great office with a view over the park.
Jill: So what kind of work do you do exactly?
Joe: Talks about his occupation for next 5-10 minutes
Jill: Wow that sounds amazing.
Joe: Yeah it's not too bad, so you said you take cycling classes?
Jill: Talks about cycling class, goals etc.
Joe: Well Jill it was good to meet you.
Jill: Yeah you too Joe, hope to see you around sometime, maybe you should sign up for cycling.

In the Philippines a first conversation would probably go something like this (translated version):

Lito: Hey where are you going?
Rommel: I'm heading just over there.
Lito: Where are you from?
Rommel: Barangay Putingbuhangin
Lito: Oh really I have two cousins and a nephew in Putingbuhangin. Do you know Mary Lou Gallop, Mary Chrisa Lasat, or June Hernandez.
Rommel: Yeah June is my neighbor. Are you married?
Lito: Yes
Rommel: How may kids do you have?
Lito: Four, two girls and two boys. Are you married?
Rommel: Yes
Lito: Do you have any kids?
Rommel: No not yet.
Lito: Why?
Rommel: My wife hasn't been able to get pregnant yet.
Lito: How long have you been married for?
Rommel: About five months now.
Lito: Don't worry about it, hey I'm having a party won't to come over and have a couple shots.
Rommel. Of course.

After reading this you might think that there not that different and you have similar conversation in the states. But remember that your conversing with a complete stranger. The first 50 times a complete stranger asks you where your going, where you live, if your married, have kids, and a bunch of other personnel questions it really throws you for a loop. However we have definitely grown to appreciate the straight forward ask any question you want approach. Your able to learn so much more about a person. The biggest problem is when we meet the random American here and start asking those questions. They usually look at us like are you serious. No big deal though right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chrismurf said...

Enjoyed reading through your blog... sounds like you guys are having an awesome time! Heard via my mom via Steve's mom that you guys are thinking about SCUBA?

- Chris Murphy

Emily said...

where does "why dont you have kids yet?" come in? joke joke joke!