Friday, September 7, 2007

Amidst the Mangroves

So there we were in a stew of water and trash, it reached my knees and Rebeka's waist. We were making our way home along the coast after a day out. High tide was approaching and we had to get through one last obstacle, the mangrove forest. For all of you out there that haven't had the chance to see a mangrove forest just think of mud, lots of critters, and a knot of trees. So we started making our way through the forest with relative ease as the incoming water pushed us deeper and deeper into the forest. Then we got to the muddy stuff and every step took more planning to avoid losing a leg. Then just as things were getting a little ridiculous we saw the light at the end of the tunnel (literally). So we pushed forward and just as I crouched down to fit underneath a branch I heard what sounded like a WWII aircraft flying next to my left ear, as I went to swipe it away it bit or stung me in the neck. Just about then I started to recall if I remember hearing about any poisonous insects in the Philippines. It was about then that the pain set in and the walk home was a little less enjoyable than I had imagined. Despite the unusual amount of pain that bite caused it didn't swell abnormally or cause discoloration, so to say the least it was a missed photo opportunity.

4 comments:

aunt kim said...

Sounds like the walk from hell!! What was it that bit you?
Aunt Kim

Matt S. said...

Hi Steve and Rebeka,
I was having a hard time getting on your blog at home. But I am at Ed and Debs now with Kimbob. We flew in yesterday. We are here till Wednesday. Then I drive to Arkansas for training at the end of this month. I drive cause I get payed by the mile ;) Did you ever figure out what bit you? That's gotta be scary in that type of environment. I got your letter and it was good to hear from you. You also have a real talent to write. Im impressed with your blog. Mary Campbell said to tell you Hey! Hope all is going well. Maybe I will come to the PI to say hi next year. Love Matt

Matt S. said...

Hi,
Just thought I would drop you another quick line. It sounds like you two are having quite the adventure. I am thinking I might come and visit you while your there it that's possible. I have two months worth of vacation still. The mangroves sounds pretty nasty. Do they have any wild life in that area (I mean besides stinging insects). Kimmy and I have been gorging ourselves on the unhealthy Ohio foods such as Mr Hero and Krispy Kremes and all that bad stuff. It's great ;) We are going to Cedar Point tommorow. The weather was nice yesterday, but I bet it's not as hot as it is there. If you need anything sent let me know. I would send you a Roman Burger but I don't think it would be as good once it got there ;)
Hope to hear from you soon
Matt

Emily said...

i love that the waters up to your knees & rebeka's waist. comic relief in a time of painful crazy insects! wish we could be there. my mom just sent me some birthday cheese. if you think you might be able to (or even want to) make a manila weekend trip soon we will save it. let me know, i'd MUCH rather share over stories of bugs & trash!