Friday, June 1, 2007

Rainy Season is Coming

Well it's June 1st and that means its the beginning of the rainy season. It was raining quite hard this morning. There hasn't been a lot of new things going on since the last post. On Tuesday I went to Morong, Bataan with my Coastal Resource Management (CRM) group. Morong is a town with a beach on the South China Sea and it was incredible. We were there for a mangrove and sea grass assessment. So first we got to walk through the swamp counting mangroves and then we went snorkeling to count sea grass beds. Yeah my job is definitely tough :) When I was snorkeling I saw sea cucumbers, sea urchins, a puffer fish, starfish and probably 4 or 5 other kinds of fish. Rebeka has been attending meetings all over the place. It seems like she goes to two or three new towns each week for training. We're still trying to find a way to download our pictures here because you definitely need a visual to understand this place. We tried a traditional Pilipino dessert the other day. It's ground rice, coconut, and brown sugar steamed in a banana leaf. It was masarap (delicious in tagalog). It had a semi firm texture with a hint of sweetness. We are having a good time training with our cluster. At first time was moving slowly but now we have quite a bit going on each day so they go by quickly. We will know are permanent site on June 25th and travel there on June 27th. I was told by one of our managers that our site is located near some pristine coast and resorts but we'll have to see if that is true. You can't believe anything form pc until your there. Every person has a different interpretation of the information. It's funny to watch the Pilipino news because there are so many things going on but are little part of the country couldn't be anymore slow pace and peaceful. Our actual community doesn't have anything besides small corner stores. We have to travel to get to anything. I'm excited to experience the rainy season, we're supposed to get 12 inches of rain this month.
We'll try to post again in a week. Signing off....

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Hi there, it is good to hear that you are eating well and it sounds like you are loving it thus far. Snorkeling sounds amazing and I cannot wait to see more photos. Everything is fine here and not much different. Tell us more about how the pace of society is different... What is your host family like, are any customs similar and what are the most different customs that you have experienced? Love, Jocelyn

Jocelyn said...

Sorry if you received two similar "comments" from me. I am not sure if my first one was sent to you. Miss you, Rebeka. Love, Joc.

aunt kim said...

Hi Steve & Rebeka,
The snorkeling sounds awesome. I'd love to do it one of these days.
We had a great dinner at Mimmo's last night. We finally used the gift certificate you got us. Thanks!
Not much new here. All my flowers & veggies are planted now we're just waiting for sunny weather. It's been warm & humid but not much sun.
Hope to hear from you again soon.
Love,
Aunt Kim

Unknown said...

Hey guys, how are you? I miss you so much. It's so nice to have this to follow your experinces but I can't wait to see some pictures. Everything sounds so awesome there and you guys are so lucky to be able to experince all of this. I hope I can come see you guys. Not much going on up here, beautiful weather today its about 50 degrees but with a high of 59, its June 6th!!! Bet you don't miss that much. I looked at a horse the other day I think I'm going to get him! He's a 6yr, 14.3h, paint, gelding. A little smaller than I would like but hes a real good boy, just needs some work and time. I've got to go see him agian and make my decision. Well I'm at work but just wanted to post something and let you both know how much I love you and miss you.

Mom said...

Hi Steve and Bec, It was great talking to you tonight. I'm hoping to send your package out by Friday. I'm anxious to know where you will be posted permanently so I can make a plan to come visit you. Wilbur is fine. He is really a big baby! He's even won Chuck over and he's not much of a cat fan. Enjoy the great weather. I love and miss you both lots. Love, Mom